Just days after the Cannes 2023 line-up was announced, revisiting Nanni Moretti’s Palme d’Or-winning The Son’s Room (La stanza del figlio) from 2001! This moving drama set in Ancona explores what happens to a happy family when tragedy strikes, as they shift from a singular unit to separate individuals. This film explores vastly different expressions of grief, as well as what role, if any, psychoanalysis can play when facing loss, manifesting the gap between objectivity and emotion into physical spaces.
Plus, some news updates on the David di Donatello awards, the Cannes Film Festival lineup for 2023, and a review on Astolfo (2022).
- Sergio Benvenuto’s The Son’s Room or: The Analysis is Over
- Deborah Young’s First Look from Film Comment
- Roger Ebert’s 2002 review
- David di Donatello Awards: Nominations | Where to Watch the Nominees
- Cinema Italiano Podcast: Astolfo | Caro diario
- Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
This episode features the following music excerpts:
- “La stanza del figlio” by Nicola Piovani
- “By This River” by Brian Eno
- “Insieme a te non ci sto più” by Caterina Caselli