This episode discusses Nanni Moretti’s Caro diario (Dear Diary), an introspective autobiographical look at three phases of Moretti’s life. This story blends the comic with the tragic, all while highlighting a journey of independence, interdependence, and codependence. Moretti’s work also has some interesting ties to the Odyssey both as a narrative as well as through its formal execution.
Plus, some news updates on film festivals and where you can screen contemporary Italian film through virtual cinema.
- Film Movement: Caro diario
- New York Film Festival: Notturno | The Truffle Hunters
- Chicago Film Festival: Lacci | Padreonostro
- Rose Theatre: Martin Eden
- Laemmle: La dea fortuna
This episode features the following music excerpts from the film’s soundtrack:
- “Didi” by Khaled
- “Bambini al telefono” by Nicola Piovani
- “Isole” by Nicola Piovani
- “Inevitabilmente (Lettera dal carcere)” by Fiorella Mannoia