Two tales of young men, directionless and in limbo, are explored in this discussion on Federico Fellini’s I vitelloni and Lina Wertmüller’s I basilischi. These films, both early in each director’s career, are rooted by neorealist elements while still containing glimmers and hints of styles, themes, and explorations to come for each filmmaker. Both movies are linked thematically as well as narratively, with different takes on agency, drive, and potential.
- Criterion Collection: I vitelloni
- Amazon Prime Video: I basilischi
- Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
This episode features the following music excerpts:
- “I vitelloni” by Nino Rota
- “Sminfa paesana” by Ennio Morricone
- “Pomeriggio in paese” by Ennio Morricone